Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sleepy September Afternoon

-->
You lay on my lap
as sleepy as can be
yet you stare up at me
with those BIG oceany eyes
that remind me of
a Precious Moments baby.
I slowly rock you
back
and forth
back
and forth
back
and forth
and your head gently turns
left
to right
left
to right
left
to right.
You gaze up at me
studying my face
and I smile down at you
my whole face filled with
LOVE
for you.
It is September and the weather
has started to change;
the window to my left allows the autumnal breeze
to blow your wispy hair.
You are babbling to me
and smiling
and each time you blink it takes
looonnnger
and loooooonnnnnnger
for you to open your
sleepy eyes.
Someone is BBQing
and the charcoal smell
drifts through the open window.
I kiss your face
and thank God
for the blessing that you are.
I’ve had many great moments 
in my life,
but not many are quite as perfect
as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment